Friday, February 13, 2009

Chap2 Realism

a) To me, Realistic art is something that looks photographical images. Artists in realism capture subject matters using his or her vision, and convey what they saw. They recreate all aspecet of the image with no imagination.

b) Plato would think good art should be reality and beauty. To plato, art should be not personal things. he is thinkin art is promoting ideal human society.

c) I don't think Plato would like Koon's work and he would say it is not art at all because of the subject matters of Koon's work. However, most of Koon's work have realistic, but also they have more his creativity in it. So, his workd might fit in Plato's concept.

d) I think Aristotle and Plato's idea is pretty much the same. Good art should be powerful to convey feelings or emotion to people. The only different between them is that Aristotel thinks art is valuable but Plato does not.

e) I think Obscene art is not contradiction. Art can be anything that artists want to convey to people. To me, Obscene is one of the subject matters which has a strong power in art.

f) I don't think vivid sxual images are more obscene that vivid images of violece, poverty, display of extreme wealth or sickness. Because it is part of us or our daily life. It just depends on the viewer what they think. to me, however, sex, poverty and sleeping that could be sickness(three big desires) are hard subject matter to look at. these are depth of obscene.

g) I picked Nancy Cohen. the subject matter of her art works in drawing center is human's hands. she express a lot of different feelings or tension using hands. I really like how she mix the fabrics into one piece. The colors, lines, and movements I really like that.
I am using some fabrics and plexiglass for this project. so, Im trying to express my feelings with fabric as she does.